Friday, September 30, 2016

In Picturesque Dubrovnik



I rented a room in the old Town through airbnb, but due to problems with their wi-fi, they hadn’t received my reservation. Fortunately, I was upgraded to the only room available, a double bed on the top floor, with a partial view of the city, and at the high end of the city to boot!

After dropping my bag, I took the cable car to the mountaintop overlooking the city while there was still some daylight. At the top, besides taking in the incredible view at sunset, I checked out a small museum dedicated to the attack on city by the Serb and Montenegrin forces. Though Dubrovnik did not suffer as greatly as Sarajevo, the historical city was shelled, and the entire region around the city was occupied by Serb and Montenegrin forces before Croatian forces launched a counter-offensive.
Later in the evening, I enjoyed a few pints at one of the two Irish pubs within the walls of the Old Town, with a couple from Glasgow, Colin and Lorna, as we watched “The Famous Glasgow Celtic” (as Colin insists I call them) play valiantly to 3-3 draw against Manchester City. Afterward we discussed well into the wee hours the embarrassing state of politics in both our countries with the recent Brexit vote and the on-going buffoonery and bombast of Mr. Comb-over.

Oh, I’m finally giving my lungs a break from the second-hand smoke, as Croatia does respect non-smokers!

Day 2, Dubrovnik

I managed to beat the cruise ship crowd as I walked the walls of the fortress. The ninety-minute walk along the wall was like doing an elliptical there are so many stairs. I’m glad I did it early in the day, because the sun was beating down as if it were July. After a while, I tired of taking pictures, because the scenery is all the same (awesome) and I won’t do it justice.

Wandering the streets afterward, I passed zillions of little shops, cafes, and restaurants, all with signs alerting customers that they don’t except Euros. (Apparently the cruise people are notorious for trying this.) Another big draw is the “Game of Thrones” crowd, with numerous tours and gifts shops associated with the television series...(never watched it, don’t care…probably will kick myself later, if I ever do choose to watch the show.)

After having a shrimp and risotto lunch, I checked out another museum, “War Photo Limited”. It wasn’t exactly what I expected: most of the exhibit consisted of photos from on-going conflict in Syria and Iraq, though the second floor also had photos from the “Homeland War” as Croats like to call their war for independence.

It wasn’t until later in the day that I discovered high up on an alley/side street two other options for lunch, an Indian restaurant, and right next door, a Korean chicken restaurant. Oh well, maybe next time I’m in town.

There were also plenty of places of worship, at least three Catholic churches and a monastery, an Orthodox Church, a mosque and a synagogue, though the latter two are tucked away in the anonymity of stony labyrinth of alleyways.

Evening found me back in the Irish pub, watching Manchester United, with a South African couple. Behind me there was a table of college age girls whose language usage and accents sounded like they might be from New York, especially given that RIT has a satellite campus in Dubrovnik. Turns out they were students from Geneseo, though I didn’t get any more information out of them, as they were paying their bill, when I finally inquired…


By the way, I did meander outside of the Old Town, looking for the RIT “campus”. It’s located less than ten minutes away. I knew the general location, but I didn’t have a map with me. So the first time I walked by it I totally missed it, but I caught sight of the orange sign on my way back to town. Pretty non-descript building, but the surroundings are superb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment