Saturday, October 22, 2016

Bosnian Rally for Hillary...(huh?)

I haven't missed the political circus of the final no-holds-barred sprint to election day, and I thought I was relatively insulated from such nonsense here in Sarajevo, but alas, there is no escape!

Yesterday I meandered into a freshly dispersed public relations event, "Sarajevo Votes for Clinton". There was a sizable billboard, two stands collecting signatures, and apparently t-shirts, though they were gone by the time I got there. (Too bad, as one of those would have made for a interesting conversation starter.)

I was a little confused why anyone would put energy and resources into a rally for a political candidate running for office on another continent...what was the point? So I scanned Bosnian media and found an article on the English language web site "Sarajevo Times" where organizers were quoted as saying:
"we will send a message of love and a message of friendship to the world with our symbolic signatures...and thus express our gratitude for everything that Hilary [sic] did."
Okay, I understand they are grateful for President (Bill) Clinton's, albeit belated, role and contribution to the bringing peace and security to Bosnia, but this? Hmm,,,

Things that make you go "hmmm?"

No comments:

Post a Comment